The beauty about Craigslist is that it’s free! With just a little bit or work, you can take advantage of this free advertising in your area.
How to Set Up an Account:
- The first thing you need to do if you want to sell on Craigslist is to go to go to www.craigslist.org.
- On the left hand side, click on my account.
- Then at the left hand bottom of the page, left mouse click on Sign up for an account.
- Type in your email address ( I suggest that you don’t use your personal email but a new selling email that you’ve created to avoid extra spam).
- Enter the verification word, and then hit the create account button.
- The next page will then say: “A link to activate your account has just been emailed to YourSales@gmail.com.”
- Now go to your email account and click on the link that Craigslist sent you. You will now enter your password twice then hit the Submit Password and Log In button at the bottom.
Now that you have an account you can begin posting items.
- Go to www.craigslist.org.
- At the top left hit the post to classifieds button.
- Click the for sale link. Now click on one of the category links for your item.
- Put in the Title of the item, price, location, description and add your image.
- Now hit the continue button.
You have just listed your first item. Congratulations!
Here are just a few tidbits for you:
Don’t put any personal information in your ad since you don’t need to. I don’t even use my home phone number and just communicate via my selling email account and use a selling name like Jim or something like that to protect your privacy, even when I meet them in person.
Easily post lots of pics:
Note that you will need to reduce the size of the pictures you post so they will post more quickly (otherwise it takes way too long). You can use IrfanView to do this (it’s free online at http://www.irfanview.com/). Craigslist will kick your add out every week so you will have to relist it. Therefore you will need to save your picture because it will be deleted though the text of the add will not. Just go to www.craigslist.org and click on my account on the left the text of the Expired adds will show up in purple once you select a date range. Just click on the add link and reload the photo that you already saved.
Don’t get flagged:
Users on Craigslist can have your add flagged which means it will be removed. People do this for all kinds of reasons. Someone may do it to eliminate competition so there may be nothing wrong with your add though there may be. You will need to look over some of the reasons for ad removal at:
You can change the wording of the ad if you want to re-list it immediately.
Use keywords for searches:
If you’re going to list a bunch of items you may want to put a special search word in your ads like forSale2010 which people can use to search for your other items. I’ve had over 100 items listed at a time and people would come to my house to buy multiple items at once. It was great because I would get a lot more than I would get at a garage sale. I could also get a quick listing of the title and price of my ads by typing in the search word. It’s really a good idea.
Some last thoughts and tips:
The downside of Craigslist is that you have to re-list the items every week (unlike Amazon which you don’t have to re-list on). You also have strangers coming to your house though you can meet them at a neutral location if you like. Sometimes people don’t show up so I just set a time when I’m going to be home and have them stop by my garage at my convenience (I don’t let strangers into my house especially with my kids). You are also just listing the items locally though a well written add my draw some interest from Google searches if your item is hard to find. In addition, if you live in a small town you may not draw much interest since you live so far away from a major metropolitan area. If you live in a bad part of town, it may also be a turn off to potential customers who are afraid to leave the security of their car when pit bulls are roaming around.
Enjoy free Craigslist!